“But someone will say, ‘you have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works” (James 2:18) and, “For as the body apart from the spiritis dead, so also faith apart from works is dead” (James 2:26).

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Death by Crucifixion and the Miracle of Resurrection

1. After the verdict of crucifixion was announced, Jesus was stripped of his clothes, then severely whipped with by a flagrum which had a sturdy handle and attached to it were leather thongs, of different length with sharp, with jagged pieces of bone and lead woven into them. 2. The cross, called a patibulum, weighed about 110 lbs. and was strapped to his shoulders. 3. When they mounted Jesus on the cross, about a 7 inch spike was driven through his heel bone and wrist. 4. The only way for a person nailed to the cross to get exhale was for the victim to push upward by his legs. Legs were broken to hasten death. In Jesus' case, the Roman's didn’t have to have his legs broken because he was already dead. The Burial 1. Usually the tomb was out of solid rock, with and entrance of 4-5.5 feet high. 2. The body was generally prepared with spices. Herod had 500 lbs., Gameliel had 85 lbs., Christ had 75 lbs. as recorded in the Bible. A gummy substance was also used, Myrrh as added to the mix. The grave clothes were wrapped around the body with a separate piece for the head. The total encasement for Jesus was probably about 92-95 lbs. 3. The stone to fit the doorway would be about 1.5-2 tons. The rock was set to roll into position via a trench. 4. The security at Jesus’ tomb was either the temple police or the Roman guard. The temple police could represent 10 or more. If a guard member fell asleep, he was beaten and burned in his own clothes. If it was a Roman guard, it would be 4-16 men who were trained to protect 6 feet of ground. Guards in ancient times slept in shifts. Any group trying to move the stone, and unwrap Jesus’ body (wrappings were left behind as stated in the Bible) and get Jesus' body out of the tomb, would have to step over a lot of sleeping warriors. When Jesus' disciples came to look for him, the tomb was empty! Not only did Jesus appear to Mary Magdalene the day she found the tomb empty, but he subsequently appeared to his disciples, apostles, and the Apostle Paul writes, in 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 1 Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. 3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles,8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born. 9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I a what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them-yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment