My Sunday School teacher, who has been invaluable to our group, has put together a lesson I would like to share with you. Read carefully. Give this some deep thought.
All People Are Without Excuse
Let us consider these three groups of people: #1. Believers who have put their faith in Jesus Christ. #2. People who have rejected Jesus as Christ. 3. People who have never heard about Christ. The Bible is clear about the destiny of the first two.
This week’s lesson question was “What about the people who’ve never heard about Jesus?” yet maybe the more relevant question is “What am I doing to share the good news of salvation given by God through Jesus Christ?”
All People Are Without Excuse Before God (18-25) – general or natural revelation
· God created all people to worship and serve Him alone. We are accountable.
· They choose to suppress evident truth—God’s attributes as shown in creation but also an inner consciousness of God because we are created in His image.
· God’s wrath is a reasonable abhorrence to godlessness and unrighteousness.
· Godlessness—choosing to reject Him—not worshiping or thanking God.
· Unrighteousness—not acting right toward other people.
· God lets people choose their destiny and suffer consequences of their choices.
· God’s wrath is now and later—but if sinners respond, He will save them.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ Brings Salvation to All Who Believe (16-17) – Theme
· Even those who honor God due to natural revelation need to hear the gospel.
· Culture was (and is) antagonistic to gospel—we must not be intimidated.
· Read Mark 8:38 and 2 Timothy 1:12 regarding not being ashamed.
· Gospel is the dynamic, life-changing message leading to a divine relationship.
· Everyone who believes in Christ and repents will receive eternal life.
· Righteousness is only by God’s grace—activated and sustained by faith.
Prayer – Dear Lord, thank you for making Yourself known, foremost in Jesus Christ. May I be so awed in knowing You that I will be diligent in making You known to others. Amen.